Monday 7 May 2018

May the Sith

Hello people,

So, not back to work until Tuesday so still a day to go with Legion ;)

Today myself, Ian and Charlie had a day out playing 5 rounds at Warboar in an ETC (European Team Championship) Qualifier / Charity event. In truth numbers were a bit thin at 21 and I'm not sure too many were there for the ETC. All the chatter was, understandably, Simeon Dellapina taking Worlds and X-Wing 2.0.

I ran a variant Nym-Gar list for 5 very tough, very fun games. First it was quad TLT followed by the dreaded Nym-Randa. Both were wins, primarily through identifying the wrong approach and then not taking it! For the first time in quite a while I felt like I was clicking back into the groove. I was reading the table-state well and working out decent engagement plans for whatever was across the table from me.

My final 3 games were Lohwrick/Fenn/Randa (Joel North), Palp Aces (Sim Pone) and Kylo Aces (Martyn Chivers). From a 21 man field I don't think it could have got much tougher and I managed to compete strongly in all three!
The list for the day was as follows;
Dengar: Predator / Boba Fett / Counter Measures / Glitterstims / Punishing One
Nym: Vet Instincts / Harpoon Missiles / TLT / Ion Bomb / Extra Munitions / Guidance Chips /
          Havoc / Trajectory Simulator / Genius

Theory craft says that Nym hammers your shields off with Harpoons for Dengar to follow up and hopefully Boba blows off your most useful upgrade. At times it did exactly that. Other times Predator couldn't produce a reliable damage output and Glitter doesn't help dice without pictures! Part of that comes down to barrel rolling with Dengar a fair bit and not having a green manoeuvre planned to cope with his Glitter addiction I.E. fly a better.
Against Joel and Sim I got one hand on the win just to see it slip away on luke-warm red dice. All three games went to time and I thoughly enjoyed every minute, even running over two debries fields for 3 damage! Finishing up 2-3 it didn't feel that way. I know there's room to fly a bit better and I need to remember Boba crew a bit more often ;)

Driving home via Nandos I was waxing lyrical about feeling comfortable back at the top tables with a Tier 1.5 list that I enjoy, know how to fly and can actually compete with. Don't get me wrong I'm still a Dirty Casual, just with an extra edge if grit.

Happy days :)

No comments:

Post a Comment