Tuesday 2 August 2011

I'll put a SPELL on you!!

Or at least a Hex sign, or two, on my barn as a finishing touch.

Otherwise it's all done and I'm rather pleased. Possibly a bit chunky but hat just means that its not going to blow down to easily though I'm equally sure that I wouldn't have liked to have helped to raise it.

I'll colour photocopy / print a couple of hex signs so feel happy to award myself the first PPs of the month. Extras for construction obviously but a very simple paint job. I reckon I could have painted 4 or 5 figures in otherwise so 8 PPs seems about right.

Doing some wiki-research I didn't realise there was so much controversy involved:

 There are two opposing schools of belief regarding the derivation of the name. Those who support the occult nature of the signs assert that the term hex derives from the Pennsylvanian German word "hex" (German "Hexe", Dutch "Heks"), meaning "witch". By contrast, supporters of the folk-art theory point out that the most popular hex signs were brightly colored geometric designs that were six-sided, or hexagrams, from the Greek root hex- meaning "six". It has also been suggested that the German "sechs" (six) was transformed into "hex".

In recent years, hex signs have come to be used by non-Pennsylvania Dutch persons as talismans for folk magic rather than as items of decoration. Some view the designs as decorative symbols of ethnic identification, possibly originating in reaction to 19th century attempts made by the government to suppress the Pennsylvania German language.[4] Anabaptist sects (like the Amish and Mennonites) in the region have a negative view of hex signs. It is not surprising that hex signs are rarely, and perhaps never, seen on an Amish or Mennonite household or farm.[1] John Joseph Stoudt, a folk art scholar, challenges the view that hex signs, as a part of Pennsylvania Dutch culture, have had any magical significance.


I get the feeling that they might be a bit early for AWI but aren't too bothered given my multi-period intentions and they just fit too well with the Sleep Hollow inspiration.

Next up is a church. Same basic kit but with a solid floor, windows, steps etc plus the obligatory spire. I'm just wondering if I should detail the interior walls as painted wood or painted plaster. I'll just have to watch Sleepy Hollow again!

No comments:

Post a Comment