Monday 14 June 2010

Return to Literary Corner

Why do all of my recent post start with text next to an offset photo?

To be honest its an aesthetics thing combined with minor OCD. In other words its a gamer thing.



Everyone likes nice figures on a nice table but why do we all stack dice? I know its not just me!

Once upon a while I go I went on holiday and took some books with me. You may remember the post. Maybe that one is just me :)

Anyway, I've finally finished War of the World. Between 2000AD and Rugby World the train home is my main opportunity to read. As such progress was a little slow at times.

This was, however, entirely down to me. I rarely read Penguin classics and I must say that I found Mr Wells' prose much easier on the gray matter than I expected.

The language used is relatively floral in-line with the time of its setting, the late 19th Century, but remains clear, concise and very readable at all times. Quite gripping in a suitably understated way the story is well told an eminently believable.
A hearty recommendation to the reader at large. Pipe and slippers optional :)

Going for something completely different, though in the "classic" vein, I'm currently reading Starship Troopers. I was interested as the "seminal" inspiration for so much of the Sci-Fi hobby and its write up as "a political essay as well as a novel".
As of page 82 of 222 I couldn't recommend it more highly.

Meanwhile, I've painted my Space Hulk Librarian. Well pleased, there's not a weak model in the set. Another 3 painting points in the bag.

Meanwhile 22 'stealers have been production line purpled. I was always going to paint these guys first as the "chore" before the Termies. I can see myself being very wrong about that one.

Shhhhh.....



No comments:

Post a Comment